You Must be Able to Set Goals
Success Is Derived From a Goal Focused Mentality
As someone once said, “The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score”.
Setting goals is a common theme for all success-driven men and women. Setting goals gives you long-term vision and a series of short-term motivations to work towards your destination. Goals focus your acquisition of knowledge, and help you to organize your time and your resources so that you can make the very most of your time in both your business and personal life.
How to Set Goals
Much has already been written on this, so I will summarize:
Goals Must Be SMART
That is, specific, measurable, attainable, relevant and time-bound.
- Specific – You need it to stay focused and clear, otherwise your efforts will be scrambled.
- Measurable – How else will you know if they have been accomplished?
- Attainable – Goals must be realistic. They should stretch your abilities but still remain possible.
- Relevant – Goals must be timely, worthwhile and be able to answer if you are the right person to achieve them or given to the appropriate person to achieve them.
- Time-bound – All goals need target dates so that everyday tasks do not take priority over longer-term goals.
Staying on Course
Once you’ve decided on your set of goals, keep the process going by reviewing and updating your To-Do List on a weekly basis. Periodically review the longer-term plans, and modify them to reflect your changing priorities and experience.
The Bottom Line
Goals keep you focused and staying on course, just like how sunlight can’t burn through anything without a magnifying glass focusing it. You can’t achieve anything unless a goal is focusing your efforts. So, focus your efforts, and enjoy the feeling of accomplishments.